Looking to start your own blog?
I hope you are because the blogging community would love to have you.
Trust me, they’ll appreciate you a lot more than your 9-to-5 boss does.
And if you really are considering, you’ve come to the right spot, because I created this step by step tutorial to help you get started.
So, before getting into the steps to start a blog, let’s discuss WHY?
Why Start A Blog?
- Fulfillment. I used to work in finance and received compliments all the time, however, I didn’t get anything out of it because I was creating nothing. The simplest comment left on my blog is so much more fulfilling than anything that ever happened during my time at the bank.
- Improve at writing. If you write a blog post a day/a week/or month, your writing skills are bound to improve.
- Meet like-minded people. Ever feel like you can’t relate to anyone? Well, start a blog and you’ll be surprised to learn just how many people are out there like you.
- Learn about yourself. Blogging forces you to decide on what your website to be about. That alone helps you narrow down who you are. You quickly learn what is enjoyable to write about. Give it 6 months and you’ll have a better idea of who you are.
- Potential for income. Everyone wants to elude the day job and work from home. Blogging can evolve into a full time job if you put in the work. Or, it can also be a complimentary side hustle to supplement your income.
- For fun. If you enjoy writing, engaging with others, social media, photograpy, design or are just plain creative then blogging is probably for you.
- Grow exposure for your business. Looking to grow your business? Why not add a personalized touch by blogging? It’s 2016 and the world values transparency anyways.
- Author a book. Ever wanted to become a writer? A lot of people have but it can be next to impossible to sell your book to a publisher without any proof of concept. Blogging could allow you to grow an audience, which in turn, could prove there are folks out there that enjoy your style.
- The resume is dead. Lets be honest, the traditional ways to work and promote yourself are slowly getting choked out. Now is the perfect opportunity to start a blog and begin building a portfolio of work online.
4 Steps To Starting A Blog
Please note: I will only be discussing blogging using Bluehost for hosting and WordPress as the platform since this is what I use.
I will break down the steps into the simplest format possible because Bluehost and WordPress already do a fine job offering tutorials and explaining.
Also, I do receive compensation if you start your blog through my affiliate Bluehost.
All you have to do is click here or on any of the links included on this page. The steps below will guide you through the rest of the set up.
- Decide what to blog about.
- Chose hosting package and register a domain.
- Create an account and confirm/purchase hosting package.
- Install WordPress.
Step 1: Decide what to blog about
Decide on a niche or topic you are passionate about.
The more you care about it, the more you will persevere and that passion will show in your work. And people appreciate authenticity.
It also helps to select a topic that you have some knowledge on because you always want to try to provide value in your posts.
Though, you shouldn’t worry too much on this step because you can always make adjustments as your blog evolves.
In bullet points:
- Select something you are passionate about.
- Select a topic where you can provide value.
- Select a niche topic, but also one that leaves plenty of room for discussion.
Step 2: Chose hosting package and register a domain
Ok, so you’ve decided on a topic, now you need to decide on a name and then check if it’s available.
From there you will be presented with a list of package options (Basic | Plus | Pro).
If you are unsure, my best advice is to call Bluehost and ask them at (+1 (855) 984-4546). There’s also a 30-day money back guarantee so no need to worry.
After you’ve selected your package, you can register the domain name. This part is extremely easy.
All you need to do is type the web address you want in the box that says (new domain) and then click next.
It will then notify you if the domain is available or not. If it’s not then you’ll need to think of a new one.
Step 3: Create account and confirm/purchase hosting package
The creating your account part is as simple as creating a FB profile. Just fill in the information required such as name | email | address etc. You’ll also need to confirm which hosting package and then pay by credit card.
Step 4: Install WordPress
You’re almost ready! All you need to do now is install WordPress within Bluehost and then you’re ready to blog.
You should receive a welcome email from Bluehost which you can click on to get started. This email will take you to where you need to go to get setup.
Next, you will need to go to the cPanel and select the (install WordPress) option that is listed under websites.
It’s near the bottom of the page shown below.
From there it will walk you through the install, and again, please feel free to contact Bluehost or send any questions my way if you need help.
After this is completed, you will be able to get started with your blog. Hope this helps!